Chief Operating Officer with Wellpoint Care Network
Wellpoint Care Network is a community-facing, human-serving organization with deep roots in Milwaukee and Wisconsin. Wellpoint continually evolves their service offerings to meet the changing needs of the community. The past year has been one of the most significant years in their history:
• Wellpoint recently celebrated the 170th Anniversary of the organization.
• Launched the organization’s new brand from SaintA to Wellpoint Care Network to better honor their rich past and focus on shaping their future.
• Won the renewal of a multi-year State of Wisconsin contract to continue their trauma-informed Child and Family Well-Being services.
• Was recognized as a Top Workplace by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and Nonprofit of the Year by BizTimes.
• Partnered with multiple local organizations to begin creating a true network of care for the people Wellpoint serves.
Wellpoint Care Network’s mission is to facilitate equity, learning, healing and wellness by restoring the connections that help children and families thrive.
• Innovation - From the ground up.
• Excellence Better than best practice.
• Integrity - Truth, Trust, Transparency, together.
• Compassion Courage to be kind to everyone, always.
While numerous programs have been added in the more than 170 years, Wellpoint has stayed true to their purpose, which is to help people overcome barriers and thrive.
Wellness is the Point
Wellpoint is committed to being a safe place for people to seek and receive support. The organization promotes healing through comprehensive prevention, intervention, and crisis resources, and uses a trauma-informed approach to create healing and build pillars of stability that will ultimately empower individuals and families to reach their fullest potential. Wellpoint has been at the forefront of the Trauma Informed Care (TIC) movement for 15 years, and at the center of their approach are the Seven Essential Ingredients. This simple framework helps explain the realities of trauma that it is more common than most people think, and that its impact can be lasting and also provides the keys to overcoming trauma- related barriers. Over the years, Wellpoint has educated more than 64,000 human service workers, educators, law enforcement professionals and others on the TIC approach to care.
Wellpoint’s long history of providing child and family well-being services, from crisis to ongoing interventions, has given the organization a unique vantage point. Through partnerships with Wisconsin’s Department of Children and Families, the Division of Milwaukee Child Protective Services, the Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division’s Wraparound Milwaukee program and a broad network of community partners and organizations, Wellpoint is committed to helping children and families move from safety to stability and ultimately thrive, as evidenced by the number of people receiving comprehensive case management services - approximately 1,300 children annually. Wellpoint has been licensing and supporting safe, nurturing foster homes since 1984 and works to support families’ mental health and emotional needs by keeping young people from placement in residential treatment, juvenile correctional facilities or psychiatric hospitals. In 2021, Wellpoint was awarded the State of Wisconsin case management contract for an additional seven years.
Wellpoint has seen, firsthand, how the right mental health services, provided by caring professionals, can promote recovery from trauma and adversity. In 2021, Wellpoint expanded its collaborative partnerships to include working with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee and the Medical College of Wisconsin to bring evidence-based, trauma-informed assessments and treatments directly to the neighborhoods Wellpoint serves through a multi-year initiative called Project Thrive. In Wellpoint’s Outpatient Mental Health Clinic, staff works with children to build motor skills, behavioral/emotional skills, and executive function skills all of which may have been impacted by trauma or other developmental delays. Clinic referrals increased by 42% in 2021. Wellpoint also partners with 25 counties across 15 offices statewide to provide individual and family therapy, school service planning and facilitation, and individual skills development.
At Wellpoint, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is central to their work and is informed by their understanding of historical and generational trauma and their commitment to the communities where Wellpoint serve. Wellpoint champions stability - healing the effects of trauma, advancing equity, and advocating for just and caring systems.
Expanding Community Access
Looking ahead, Wellpoint will energetically focus on the hopes and aspirations of both its neighbors and the local organizations serving the community by listening and engaging them on a variety of community-facing endeavors. Wellpoint’s Capitol Drive Campus Renovation is part of a concerted shift from formalized programming to more organic and ongoing partnerships, on Milwaukee’s northwest side and beyond. Wellpoint envisions their campus as a community center a place to come for care, but also to share a coffee in their social hall or participate in a community meeting hosted by one of their partners. As Wellpoint emerges from the isolation of COVID lockdown and opens their doors once more, they are committed to turning their Capitol Drive campus into a place of healing.
To learn even more about Wellpoint, please visit our website.
As a member of Wellpoint’s Executive team, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for overseeing service delivery across all programs, which includes taking the lead in the planning, directing, coordinating, implementing, and evaluating the effectiveness and fidelity of all Wellpoint activities. The COO must be able to operationalize best practices in program management using an equity and inclusion lens in collaboration with teams and functional areas, to ensure strong organizational performance to meet ambitious goals.
This position ensures a case management and clinical care environment that continuously provides safe, effective care which meets all regulatory requirements. The COO will partner with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Executive Team, Board of Directors, as well as funders and partners to strengthen the overarching mission and goals of the organization. The COO reports directly to the CEO and oversees the following core programs: Child and Family Well Being and Clinical Services.
• Successfully models key leadership skills and abilities and abides by policies and procedures.
• Oversees the operations and service delivery for Wellpoint programs ensuring culturally appropriate and equitable care.
• Generates innovative, data-driven approaches to service provision with a focus on improving outcomes for clients with the understanding that they may be experiencing disparity in access and service delivery of mental health, education, housing, employment, caring connections.
• Ensures the engagement and alignment of Wellpoint programs with the equity and inclusion commitments and priorities set forth by the Board and Executive Team.
• Maintains operational, program, and corporate compliance as stipulated in contract terms and/or mandated by governmental entities and laws, including professional review and standards boards.
• Leverages relationships with key stakeholders while fostering a team-oriented work environment necessary to advance the growth and impact objectives of the organization.
• Partners with the Executive Team in effective management of the Board, including planning for and participating in regular Board meetings, committee meetings, and annual Board Retreats.
• Collaborates with the CEO and senior leadership in setting and driving organizational vision, operations, and strategy.
• Partners with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to develop the annual program budget and improve program budgeting and reporting practices while engaging senior program leaders in a deeper understanding of fiscal management.
• Ensures the solvency of organization programs, which includes assessing financial performance throughout the revenue cycle to meet budget goals.
• Partners with staff leaders to create and implement a coordinated marketing and business development plan to achieve strategic program development and growth.
• Assesses internal operations regularly to enhance program performance, resource allocation, and utilization as well as identify areas of process improvement and efficiency.
• Ensures the highest quality program service delivery and the achievement of their strategic goals and performance benchmarks and contracts.
• Coordinates and analyzes the appropriate data to inform the programmatic and operational decision-making process.
• Identifies new and builds on existing external relationships, collaborations, and partnerships with other organizations and leaders to broaden and enhance services.
• Manages and prioritizes relationships with key partner organizations, involving the CEO when appropriate and necessary.
• Promotes wins and success stories of the programs and people served, internally and externally, to keep individuals and partners motivated and informed.
• Supervises assigned Wellpoint staff members which includes, but is not limited to: hiring, learning, scheduling, evaluating, and ensuring accuracy, timeliness, and the completion of all work performed by direct reports.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum of ten (10) years of managerial experience to include five (5) years of relevant senior leadership experience in human services, social services, and/or non-profit environment preferred.
• Minimum of three (3) years of experience supervising direct reports required.
• Experience working collaboratively and navigating complex systems.
• Experience with grant writing and compliance a plus.
• Knowledge of the Trauma Informed Care model and its application to practice.
• Ability to organize, coordinate, and delegate across multiple programs / departments.
• Demonstrated strong analytical skills to quickly assess situations, identify trends, develop solutions, and apply critical assessments to the larger context.
• Ability to communicate effectively in written or verbal format to groups of all sizes and individuals.
• Proficient in the usage of computer software; demonstrate an understanding of computer file systems and computer software packages, e.g., Microsoft Office, Excel, Outlook, Teams, ADP, etc.
• Possess attributes consistent with the organization’s core values of: Innovation, Excellence,
• Integrity, and Compassion.
Instructions for Applicants
To apply, please email all items below, combined into one document, to no later than 1:00 p.m. CT October 4, 2022:
• A letter describing your qualifications for this position and your interest in Wellpoint Care Network’s mission
• A detailed and updated resume and
• The names of, including your relationship to, and the contact information for, three professional references.
Please note: References will not be contacted until a candidate has been notified; All offers of employment are contingent upon clear results of thorough background checks; All inquiries and interactions with potential candidates are kept in strict confidence.
The salary range for this position bases at $145K and the position will remain open until it is filled.
Wellpoint Care Network is an equal opportunity employer. Wellpoint Care Network offers a comprehensive suite of benefits to the promote health and financial security of staff and their families. This includes health, dental, & vision coverage, and Flexible Spending Accounts.
To protect the health and well-being of employees, of people Wellpoint serves, and of community members interacted with daily, Wellpoint has decided to mandate the COVID-19 vaccine for all employees or be approved with a qualified exemption. New staff members must be (at a minimum) partially vaccinated within thirty (30) days of hire, and fully vaccinated within sixty (60) days of hire or acquire and approved for an exemption.
Leading Transitions is committed to the vitality of mission-based, nonprofit, philanthropic and community-centered efforts and organizations, and their leaders. The firm’s inclusive practices provide the flexibility and creativity necessary to adapt to the intricacies and dynamics of any community. Wellpoint believe that periods of change are transformational and bring great new opportunities.